- Makes: 4 Servings
- Ready In: 20 mins
- Prep Time: 10-15 mins
- Cook Time: 10-13 mins
There’s no dilemma about this omnivore delight. Lime, cilantro, garlic and some heat rubbed into some grass fed beef. Medium rare strips served over salad with cucumber. I’m salivating, how about you?
Try to locate grass-fed beef from a local farmer (see Eat Wild), or ask questions at your food coop or grocery store to find beef from cows that were not given antibiotics or hormones. Note that grass-fed beef requires a shorter cooking time because the beef is less fatty.
Recipe reprinted with permission from Feeding the Whole Family (third edition) by Cynthia Lair (Sasquatch Books, 2008).
- Calories: 411
- Fat: 26g
- Protein: 32g
- Sodium: 649mg
- Carbohydrates: 9g
- Fiber: 1g
- Sugar: 6g
Nutritional Information (per serving)
1/3 cup lime juice
1/3 cup olive oil
¼ cup packed fresh cilantro, chopped
1-2 cloves garlic, minced
¼ teaspoon hot pepper oil or hot pepper sauce
3 teaspoons honey or sugar
1 teaspoon sea salt
Freshly ground pepper
1 pound sirloin or flank steak, 1-inch thick
3-4 cups salad greens, washed, dried and torn
½ small red onion, cut into half moons
½ cucumber, peeled, seeded, cut into half moons
- Combine lime juice, oil, cilantro, garlic, hot pepper oil, honey, salt and pepper in a small bowl. Whisk together and set aside.
- Place meat between 2 sheets of plastic wrap and pound on both sides to tenderize.
- Remove wrap and place meat in a shallow pan.
- Pour half of the dressing over the meat.
- Cover and marinate in the refrigerator for at least 1 hour or up to 12 hours.
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- Heat a cast iron or oven safe skillet with a teaspoon or so of oil.
- Place marinated steak in skillet and brown for a few minutes on each side. This is a good time to salt and pepper the meat.
- Transfer steak to the oven for 7-8 minutes. Check center for doneness (red for medium rare, pink for medium) and remove from oven when it is redder than you desire.
- Transfer meat to a carving board and let rest 10 minutes before slicing into thin slices on a diagonal against the grain of the meat.
- To assemble place a small bed of noodles on each plate.
- Toss the greens, onion, and cucumber with almost all of the remaining dressing and divide among 4 plates.
- Top each plate of with salad with an equal portion of steak slices and a drizzle of dressing.