- Makes: 4 Servings
- Ready In: 55 mins
- Prep Time: 10 mins
- Cook Time: 45 mins
Familiar flavors for a family-friendly cold weather meal.
- Calories: 132
- Fat: 4g
- Protein: 4g
- Sodium: 496mg
- Carbohydrates: 23g
- Fiber: 5g
Nutritional Information (per serving)
- 1 Tbsp. canola oil
1 medium onion, chopped
1 medium leek, chopped
1 pound peeled carrots, cut in 1/2-inch slices
1 Granny Smith apple, peeled, cored and chopped
3 cups fat-free, reduced sodium chicken broth
Milk or fat-free, reduced-sodium chicken broth, as desired (optional)
Salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
3 Tbsp. minced mint, for garnish (optional)
- Heat oil in medium Dutch oven or large saucepan over medium-high until hot.
- Sauté onion and leek until onion is translucent, 4 minutes.
- Mix in carrots and apple. Tightly cover pot, reduce heat and cook gently until vegetables give up most of their juices, 8 to 10 minutes.
- Add broth.
- Cover and cook until carrots are very soft, about 30 minutes.
- Let soup sit, uncovered, about 20 minutes, to cool slightly.
- Purée soup in a blender or food processor, if necessary in two batches. (Blender makes a smoother soup.)
- If soup is too thick, add milk or broth, as desired.
- Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Serve garnished with mint.
Print or email this post: