- Makes: 6-8 Servings
- Ready In: 1 hr 10 mins
- Prep Time: 25 mins
- Cook Time: 45-60 mins
Created with kids in mind, this irresistibly cheesy casserole even sneaks in some vegetables!
Dr. Greene suggests you use organic ingredients when possible, especially for dairy and egg products.
- Calories: 263
- Fat: 10g
- Protein: 11g
- Sodium: 306mg
- Carbohydrates: 34g
- Cholesterol: 34mg
Nutritional Information (per serving)
6 ounces dry macaroni or other shaped pasta
1/2 cup finely chopped zucchini
1/2 cup finely chopped broccoli
1/2 cup finely chopped red bell pepper
1/2 cup coarsely chopped fresh spinach
3 Tbsp. butter
1 1/2 Tbsp. all-purpose flour
1 1/2 cups whole milk
1/2 tsp. dry mustard
12 ounces cheddar cheese, shredded
salt and freshly ground black pepper
1/2 cup bread crumbs combined with 1 Tbsp. melted butter
- Preheat the oven to 350°F.
- Grease a 9-inch square baking dish.
- Cook the macaroni in boiling water until barely tender; drain.
- Combine the macaroni, zucchini, broccoli, bell pepper, and spinach in a large bowl.
- Melt the butter in a heavy saucepan over medium heat.
- Add the flour and cook, whisking constantly, for one minute.
- Add the milk a little at a time, whisking vigorously to prevent lumps from forming.
- Add the mustard and continue to cook, stirring constantly, until the mixture thickens and begins to simmer. Simmer for one minute.
- Remove from heat and add the cheese all at once, stirring until smooth.
- Season to taste with Tabasco, salt, and pepper.
- Pour the cheese sauce over the macaroni and vegetables and stir to coat.
- Spread the mixture in prepared pan, cover with crumb topping and bake for 45 to 60 minutes, until nicely browned and bubbly in the center.