- Makes: 6-8 Servings
- Ready In: 1 hr 10 mins
- Prep Time: 25 mins
- Cook Time: 45-60 mins
Created with kids in mind, this irresistibly cheesy casserole even sneaks in some vegetables!
Dr. Greene suggests you use organic ingredients when possible, especially for dairy and egg products. We’ve partnered with Horizon® Dairy who provide wonderful organic milk, butter, and cheese perfect for this recipe.
- Calories: 263
- Fat: 10g
- Protein: 11g
- Sodium: 306mg
- Carbohydrates: 34g
- Cholesterol: 34mg
Nutritional Information (per serving)
6 ounces dry macaroni or other shaped pasta
1/2 cup finely chopped zucchini
1/2 cup finely chopped broccoli
1/2 cup finely chopped red bell pepper
1/2 cup coarsely chopped fresh spinach
3 Tbsp. butter
1 1/2 Tbsp. all-purpose flour
1 1/2 cups whole milk
1/2 tsp. dry mustard
12 ounces cheddar cheese, shredded
salt and freshly ground black pepper
1/2 cup bread crumbs combined with 1 Tbsp. melted butter
- Preheat the oven to 350°F.
- Grease a 9-inch square baking dish.
- Cook the macaroni in boiling water until barely tender; drain.
- Combine the macaroni, zucchini, broccoli, bell pepper, and spinach in a large bowl.
- Melt the butter in a heavy saucepan over medium heat.
- Add the flour and cook, whisking constantly, for one minute.
- Add the milk a little at a time, whisking vigorously to prevent lumps from forming.
- Add the mustard and continue to cook, stirring constantly, until the mixture thickens and begins to simmer. Simmer for one minute.
- Remove from heat and add the cheese all at once, stirring until smooth.
- Season to taste with Tabasco, salt, and pepper.
- Pour the cheese sauce over the macaroni and vegetables and stir to coat.
- Spread the mixture in prepared pan, cover with crumb topping and bake for 45 to 60 minutes, until nicely browned and bubbly in the center.