- Makes: 24 Servings
- Ready In: 1 hr 20 mins
- Prep Time: 20 mins
- Cook Time: 60 mins
Rich sour cream, tangy cream cheese, and a hint of almond make these brownies unforgettable. Dr. Greene suggests you use organic ingredients when possible, especially for dairy and egg products.
- Calories: 246
- Fat: 14g
- Protein: 4g
- Sodium: 207mg
- Carbohydrates: 28g
- Cholesterol: 85mg
Nutritional Information (per serving)
- Cream Cheese Layer:
12 ounces cream cheese, room temperature
3/4 cup sugar
1 large egg
1 tsp. vanilla extract
3/4 cup unsalted butter, melted
5 large eggs
2 cups sugar
1/2 tsp. almond extract
3/4 cup sour cream
1 cup all-purpose flour
1 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- Preheat the oven to 300° F. Line the bottom and sides of a 13 x 9-inch pan with foil, then butter the foil.
- Prepare the cream cheese layer first: Using an electric mixer, beat the cream cheese and sugar at high speed until smooth and fluffy, scraping the bowl often. Reduce the speed to low and add the egg and vanilla, mixing to blend. Set aside.
- Prepare the brownie layer: In a spacious bowl, whisk together the melted butter, eggs, sugar, and almond extract. Whisk in the sour cream. Sift the flour and cocoa powder into the bowl and whisk by hand until combined.
- Spread about three fourths of the brownie batter into the prepared pan in an even layer. Gently pour the cream cheese mixture over, spreading it with a spatula to create a smooth surface. Drop the remaining brownie batter over the cream cheese in evenly spaced blobs, then use a knife to swirl the two mixtures together slightly, creating a marbled effect.
- Bake in the preheated oven for one hour, until the brownies feel firm and springy in the center. Cool thoroughly, then refrigerate until well chilled before cutting.
- Horizon brownies can be stored in the refrigerator, wrapped airtight, for up to four days, or frozen for three months. For best flavor and texture, restore to room temperature before serving.