- Makes: 4 Servings
- Ready In: 40 mins
- Prep Time: 10 mins
- Cook Time: 30 mins
Be sure to use long-grain brown rice in this recipe. Use organic, if possible, as the bran layers can store residue of any pesticides used in the growing. Keep your brown rice in the refrigerator, especially in the summer, as the good, nutritious oils can go rancid. Concocting the bouquet garni is especially nice if you have a small garden. The herbs and the olive oil cut the inherent sweetness of the rice perfectly.
Machine: Medium (6 cup) rice cooker
- Calories: 130
- Fat: 9g
- Protein: 1g
- Sodium: 147mg
- Carbohydrates: 12g
- Fiber: 1g
Nutritional Information (per serving)
- 2 1/2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive
1 cup long-grain brown rice
Bouquet garni: few sprigs of parsley, a bay leaf, a few celery leaves, and a sprig of thyme, savory, marjoram, or rosemary, tightly wrapped and tied into a bundle with a piece of chives or kitchen twine
2 1/4 cups water
1/4 teaspoon salt
- Turn on the rice cooker. Place the olive oil into the rice bowl. When hot, add the rice. Let cook, stirring, until all the grains are evenly coated and hot.
- Cook 10 minutes, stirring a few times.
- While the rice is cooking, assemble your bouquet garni and place on top of the rice.
- Add the water and salt to the rice in cooker.
- Stir just to combine, close the cover, and let rice complete cooking cycle.
- Open the lid and remove the bouquet garni; discard.
- Steam the rice on the "Keep Warm" cycle for 10 minutes before serving.