- Makes: 4 Servings
- Ready In: 1 hr 15 mins
- Prep Time: 15 mins
- Cook Time: 60-120 mins
Warm the kids up with this cozy soup recipe!
- Calories: 200
- Fat: g
- Protein: 12g
- Fiber: 13g
Nutritional Information (per serving)
- 1 cup dried pinto beans, or 2 cans (15 oz. each) cooked pintos, drained
2 medium tomatoes, seeded and chopped
1 rib celery, sliced
1 medium onion, chopped
1 bay leaf
1 can (15 oz.) reduced-sodium, fat-free beef broth
Salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- If using canned beans, ignore this step. If using dried beans, place in small Dutch casserole. Add 3 cups cold water. Cover and bring to a boil.
- Remove from heat and soak 1 hour.
- Drain well.
- In medium pan mix together beans, tomatoes, celery, onion, bay leaf and broth.
- Cover and bring to boil over medium-high heat. Reduce heat and simmer until vegetables are quite soft, 60 to 75 minutes for dried beans, 20 minutes for canned.
- Let hot soup sit, uncovered, 20 minutes.
- Remove bay leaf. Pureé half the soup in blender. Recombine with remaining soup.
- Season to taste with salt and pepper.