- Makes: 6 Servings
- Ready In: 1 hr 15 mins
- Prep Time: 15 mins
- Cook Time: 60 mins
Lentils are much easier to prepare than other dried legumes. They do not need to be pre-soaked and they cook quickly. Cooking time depends on the age and variety, so check the package for cooking instructions. Be sure to test for doneness by tasting the lentils. They should be firm, but not crunchy.
If you purchased bulk lentils without cooking instructions, you can follow these guidelines: Pick over dried lentils to remove debris, rinse, and drain. Cover with water or broth and boil for 2 to 3 minutes (to aid in digestion). Reduce heat and simmer until tender. Depending on the variety and age, cooking time may take anywhere from 10 minutes to 1 hour.
- Calories: 188
- Fat: 1g
- Protein: 10g
- Sodium: 356mg
- Carbohydrates: 36g
- Fiber: 12g
- Sugar: 7g
Nutritional Information (per serving)
- 1/2 cup Lentils, dried, May substitute 1 cup canned lentils.
1/2 teaspoon Olive Oil
1 Yellow Onion
4 Cloves Garlic
1 tablespoon Fresh Ginger
1 1/2 cup Carrots
1 cup Cauliflower
1 1/2 cup Tomatoes, stewed
1/2 cup Chick Peas
1 cup Green Peas
1 teaspoon Curry Powder
2 cups Water, If using canned lentils, reduce water to 1/2 Cup and include juice from canned lentils.
- Cook dried lentils according to directions in a large pot.
- Chop the onions and mince the garlic.
- In a skillet, with medium high heat, saute the onions and garlic in the olive oil until onions are tender.
- Mince the fresh ginger and add it to the onion mixture.
- Cut the carrots and cauliflower into small pieces -- about twice the size of chick peas. Add carrots and cauliflower to the onion mixture and continue to saute until the carrots are warm all the way through, but still crisp.
- Add the vegetables to the cooked lentils.
- Add chick peas, green peas and seasonings.
- Simmer on low heat for about 20 minutes. Turn off heat if you are not serving immediately so the vegetables don't become mushy. The flavors will intensify and blend beautifully. Turn heat back on to warm before serving.