- Makes: 6 Servings
- Ready In: 50 mins
- Prep Time: 20 mins
- Cook Time: 30 mins
Never know what to do with all that leftover Turkey from the holidays? This casserole takes leftovers and turns them into a new and comforting dish.
- Calories: 305
- Fat: 8g
- Protein: 18g
- Sodium: 366mg
- Carbohydrates: 45g
- Fiber: 11g
Nutritional Information (per serving)
- Cooking spray
2 butternut squash (about 1.5 lbs. each), halved lengthwise and seeded
2 tsp. olive oil
1/2 lb. cooked or leftover turkey breast, cubed
1 green bell pepper, seeded and diced
1/2 cup minced onion
1 tsp. dried sage
Freshly ground black pepper, to taste
2 cups fat-free, reduced sodium chicken broth
3/4 cup quick cooking barley (see note)
1/2 cup crumbled feta cheese
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Coat 4-quart baking dish with cooking spray.
- In large pot of rapidly boiling water, boil squash halves 5 minutes.
- When cool enough to handle, scoop flesh from each half and dice.
- Set aside.
- In large saucepan, heat oil over medium heat.
- Add turkey, green pepper, onion and diced squash; saute 3 minutes.
- Add sage and pepper and stir to coat.
- Add broth and bring to boil.
- Add barley; return to boil.
- Reduce heat to low, cover and cook 10 minutes, until barley is tender and liquid is absorbed.
- Transfer mixture to prepared baking dish and top with feta cheese.
- Bake, uncovered, 30 minutes, until cheese is golden.
Note: Packages of quick cooking barley can be found in most supermarkets and health food stores.