Dr. Greene’s Answer:
Many of the questions we get at DrGreene.com are ones that parents have been asking since anyone can remember.
- How can I help my child sleep better?
- How should I handle potty training?
- What should I feed my family?
- What does this rash/cough/health problem mean and how can I fix it?
- How should I address my child’s behavior issue?
I’ve noticed two trends in the past few years, though, that affect the types of questions we see.
- With the host of information on the Internet, parents can find much more information about health issues. Thus, when parents write us these days, they’ve sometimes diagnosed the problem themselves and are asking more about treatment options. This is a great trend for many common childhood ills, such as a bout of poison ivy or a little diarrhea. But I caution parents to consult with their trusted health care experts to ensure their children get the best advice.
- Parents today are more concerned than ever about the effects of environmental contaminants on their families. I started to specialize in Earth-friendly pregnancy, childbirth and baby care long before I wrote “Raising Baby Green.” Back then only a fraction of parents thought about organic foods, disposable diapers and nontoxic cleaning solutions. In the past three years, we’ve definitely seen a lot more parents asking questions about how to make their homes more environmentally friendly for their families.