Green Goes with Everything: Simple Steps to a Healthier Life and a Cleaner Planet focuses on easy ways to help your family live healthier. As the book points out, I don’t live in a log cabin. I don’t bake my own bread. I’m normal. I’m you. And I’m far from perfect when it comes to being green. But I’m trying, and I think there’s a lot of value–practical value for you and your family–in trying too.
I firmly believe that you do not need to sacrifice your convenience, pocket book or even preferences to make a healthier home for you and your family.
Here are the first 5 of 10 simple steps from my book to get you started (check back tomorrow for the next 5)!
- Start by replacing a bunch of your cleaners (your general spray cleaner, glass cleaner, counter top cleaner, floor and bathroom cleaners) with a natural, nontoxic all-purpose cleaner. You will only need one to do that. Really!
- Replace your laundry detergent with a natural nontoxic one so the clothes you wear and the sheets you sleep on have no fumes for you to breathe.
- Go to your bathroom and read the shampoo, makeup and moisturizer labels. Ask yourself, “Do I really need scent in these products?” Take stock of all of your other products and try to replace one a week with a safer, greener choice.
- Use BPA-free plastic baby bottles and fill them with breast milk or organic formula. Choose powdered formula over canned formula to avoid BPA leaching from the can-lining.
- Pay attention (without freaking out) to the toys you buy for your kids. Avoid lead paint and soft plastics that contain phthalates.
Check back tomorrow for the next 5 tips!
For more simple steps, buy Green Goes with Everything: Simple Steps to a Healthier Life and a Cleaner Planet (All net proceeds go to charity)
Print or email this post:
Sign-up for DrGreene's Newsletter
About once a month we send updates with most popular content, childrens' health alerts and other information about raising healthy children. We will not share your email address and never spam.