Leftover bread? Devastating to throw away, especially when you’ve put all that effort into baking it. Or maybe your kid just won’t eat the crusts or the ends.
- Break up into easily toastable chunks.
- Put in toaster oven or oven at 350 degrees for about 15 minutes, or until it is very crispy but not burned.
- Throw in a bag with some dried herbs (oregano works nicely) and beat the hell out of it with the back of a pan. This is therapeutic. Oh, and it also makes crumbs. Voila!
- Again, break up into toastable chunks.
- This time, mix up in a bowl with some olive oil and garlic to coat. If you’re feeling adventurous, throw in some rosemary, Parmesan cheese, or other herb of choice.
- Cook on a baking sheet at 300 degrees for 15-30 minutes. Check on them and shake them around a bit so they don’t get burnt!
When you serve a salad with homemade croutons or bread some fish in your homemade crumbs, you will feel like a domestic goddess!
Sign-up for DrGreene's Newsletter
About once a month we send updates with most popular content, childrens' health alerts and other information about raising healthy children. We will not share your email address and never spam.