TIP #1: BUY ORGANIC There are four types of organic labels: 100% ORGANIC: All ingredients are organic. ORGANIC: At least 95% of ingredients are organic. The other 5% must still be non-GMO.
“MADE WITH ORGANIC _________ (ingredient name, e.g. SOY).” At least 70% of ingredients are organic. The remaining 30% must still be non-GMO. If the term organic is ONLY in the list of ingredients and not found anywhere else on the package, then there is no required minimum percentage for organic ingredients and non-organic ingredients may be GMO.
TIP #2: LOOK FOR“NON-GMO” LABELS Companies may voluntarily label products as “non-GMO”. Some labels state “non-GMO” while others spell out “MADE WITHOUT GENETICALLY MODIFIED INGREDIENTS”. Some products limit their claim to only one particular “AT-RISK” ingredient such as soy lecithin, listing it as “non-GMO.”
TIP #3: AVOID AT-RISK INGREDIENTS Avoid products made with any of the crops that are GM. Most GM ingredients are products made from corn and soybeans, used in processed foods. There is no GM popcorn on the market, nor is there blue or white GM corn. Ascorbic acid (Vitamin C), although usually derived from corn, is probably not GM because it is not likely made in North America.
TIP #4: BUY PRODUCTS LISTED IN A NON-GMO SHOPPING GUIDE See www.ResponsibleTechnology.org.
OTHER WAYS TO AVOID GMOs
ANIMAL PRODUCTS Meats, dairy products, farmed fish, and eggs are usually from animals fed GM feed. To avoid, buy “ORGANIC”, “WILD CAUGHT”, or meat or dairy from “100% GRASS-FED” animals. Avoid dairy products from cows injected with GM bovine growth hormone (called rbGH or rbST). See www.responsibletechnology.org for brands. Honey and bee pollen may have been gathered from GM plants.
PRODUCTS FROM GM MICROORGANISMS There are many additives, enzymes, flavorings, and processing agents used in foods which are produced by GM bacteria, yeast, or fungi. To avoid them, either buy organic or use non-processed foods.
GMO SWEETENER ASPARTAME The sweetener aspartame is derived from GM micro-organisms. It is also referred to as NutraSweet® and Equal® and is found in over 6,000 products, including soft drinks, gum, candy, desserts, mixes, yogurt, tabletop sweeteners, and some pharmaceuticals such as vitamins and sugar-free cough drops.
AVOID GMOs IN RESTAURANTS Use restaurants that cook meals from scratch and do not use packaged, processed mixes and sauces which will likely have GM ingredients. At-risk ingredients include corn chips and tortillas, tofu, soy sauce, and sweet corn. Vegetable oil is usually made from GM soy, corn, cottonseed, or canola and is used by most restaurants. If your restaurant uses vegetable oil, ask if they can cook YOUR meal without oil or with a non-GMO oil, such as olive, sunflower, or safflower.
Help end the genetic engineering of our food supply
When the tipping point of consumer concern about GMOs was achieved in Europe in 1999, within a single week virtually all major food manufacturers committed to remove GM ingredients. The Campaign for Healthier Eating in America is designed to reach a similar tipping point in the US before the end of 2009.
Our growing network of manufacturers, retailers, healthcare practitioners, organizations, and the media, is informing consumers of the health risks of GMOs and helping them select healthier non-GMO alternatives.
Go to www.responsibletechnology.org to learn more and get involved.
Print or email this post:
Sign-up for DrGreene's Newsletter
About once a month we send updates with most popular content, childrens' health alerts and other information about raising healthy children. We will not share your email address and never spam.