Your toddler can now eat just about everything you eat. That does not mean that he actually WILL eat everything you eat. That is no reason not to try to continue to feed the healthiest foods. Of course you want to stay away from foods that are too salty, spicy, sugary or those that contain too much butter.
Tips For Feeding a Toddler Successfully: Part 2
To encourage a toddler to willingly try new foods:
- Place SMALL amounts of foods nicely arranged on his plate. A too-full plate is overwhelming to a child.
- Cut your toddler’s food into easy-to-eat pieces. Make healthy foods fun by using decorating ideas.
- Get your toddler involved. Think of easy ways that your toddler can be included in food preparation. Yes, this can be messy. But if healthy eating habits result, it will be worth it. Could your toddler dump beans into a bowl before you place them on the stovetop? Could he rip some lettuce or even place shreds of carrots on his plate?
- Keep offering new foods, but do not be offended by refusals. Meal time should be as stress-free for both of you as possible.
- While your toddler is eating, let her concentrate. Do not let her get distracted by the TV or other diversions. Try to use mealtimes to connect with your toddler and focus on her.
Toddler Tasty Eggplant Slices
Eggplant is such a versatile vegetable and so good for your toddler, as well as the whole family. It features a host of vitamins and minerals as well as phytonutrients (organic components of plants), rich in antioxidants.
- Preheat oven to 450°F
- Slice eggplant into ½-inch thick slices and arrange on a cookie sheet
- Spread with tofu mayonnaise (easily found at a natural food store)
- Sprinkle with wheat germ or whole grain bread crumbs
- Sprinkle with grated parmesan cheese
- Sprinkle with oregano (optional)
- Bake for 15 minutes
Sign-up for DrGreene's Newsletter
About once a month we send updates with most popular content, childrens' health alerts and other information about raising healthy children. We will not share your email address and never spam.