We all know they say that breakfast is the most important meal of the day, right? Then why are approximately 8-12 percent of school age children skipping breakfast? By the time kids hit their teens, as many as 20-30 percent are skipping breakfast.
Why exactly is it so important that kids (and adults as well) eat a good breakfast before school? Well, for starters, how about these reasons?
- Eating breakfast can help improve math, reading, and standardized test scores.
- Children who eat breakfast are more likely to behave better in school than those who don’t.
- Breakfast helps children pay attention, perform problem-solving tasks, and improves memory.
- Studies have shown that children who eat breakfast on a regular basis are less likely to be overweight.
- Eating breakfast as a child is important for establishing healthy habits for later in life.
- More strength and endurance to engage in physical activity
So, what kind of breakfast is the best for our kids and what can we fix them that is fast and easy as well as nutritious? Anything high in protein and fiber will keep hunger at bay and give them the energy they need to make it to lunch. Here’s some healthy (and simple) breakfast ideas that you can quickly make.
Scrambled eggs w/ cheese –Fast, simple and high in protein.
A bowl of oatmeal- Not the instant, it’s loaded in sugar.
Oatmeal Cups to Go- Make them ahead of time and you’ve got breakfast ready in the morning.
Blueberry Oatmeal Smoothie- Throw it all in the blender and you’ve got a healthy breakfast.
Greek yogurt topped with fruit- No cooking required here at all.
Hardboiled egg and yogurt-You can even boil the eggs the night before.
Homemade Trail Mix-Make some up over the weekend and you’ll have it ready during the week.
What breakfast do you and your kids like to eat on a busy school morning? We’d love you to share your ideas!
Print or email this post:
Sign-up for DrGreene's Newsletter
About once a month we send updates with most popular content, childrens' health alerts and other information about raising healthy children. We will not share your email address and never spam.