There has been a recent surge of articles and stories in the news on the possible “cure” for peanut allergies. I am pleased to see media coverage and stories on food allergies as it helps raise awareness. The announcements around the success of a desensitization trial are encouraging. The fact that doctors are working to eliminate the life-threatening aspect of this allergy, has helped to educate people on the seriousness of the allergy.
As a parent of two children with life-threatening peanut allergies there are still so many unknowns. First, I have to admit that the thought of my children participating in this kind of treatment is scary. I want to thank all of those parents and children who have participated in these tests. Their commitment, passion and bravery toward finding a cure should be acknowledged and someday will hopefully help millions.
The one caveat of the media attention is that many have interpreted the news as a cure. While this is progress there is still a lot to learn. If my child is “desensitized” will he have to eat a certain amount of peanut products each day? Can his tolerance build up, and will there be a new threshold that can send him into anaphylactic shock? What will happen if he doesn’t ingest peanuts each day, will the allergy return to its original state?
As I mentioned, this is encouraging news for a number of reasons. Bottom line; do not try desensitization or any kind of food challenge in your home. This kind of testing needs to be done in a controlled medical environment. Please keep in mind that there is still no medical cure for food allergies. Education and avoidance are the only way to provide a safe environment.
Please let us know if you have any tips on providing a safe environment for children with food allergies. For products to empower children with the allergy and help teach those providing care for them how to provide a safe environment visit www. Beyondapeanut.com