Disposable Diapers

Disposable Diapers

In our online community, someone inquired about a baby who had eaten some of the gel out of her diaper. I was pleased to answer this query, but I want to be sure that every parent and grandparent and sitter knows about Poison Control Centers. This free 24-hour service is the first place to call whenever a child has ingested something suspicious.

Thankfully, diaper gel is a nontoxic water-absorbing substance that passes through kids without doing harm. There is a theoretical risk that it could swell inside as it absorbed water, causing intestinal blockage, but I have never heard of this happening.

While safe, I wouldn’t recommend diaper gel as a culinary treat!

Dr. Alan Greene

Dr. Greene is the founder of DrGreene.com (cited by the AMA as “the pioneer physician Web site”), a practicing pediatrician, father of four, & author of Raising Baby Green & Feeding Baby Green. He appears frequently in the media including such venues as the The New York Times, the TODAY Show, Good Morning America, & the Dr. Oz Show.

Sign-up for DrGreene's Newsletter

About once a month we send updates with most popular content, childrens' health alerts and other information about raising healthy children. We will not share your email address and never spam.

Enter your message.

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *